January 4, 2017
Getting Your HVAC System Winter Ready
The onset of winter indicates that homeowners will put their HVAC systems to maximum use this year to make sure their homes are warm and comfy. However, many do not prepare their HVAC for the extra pressure during the winter season.
The extra running time, cold winter temperatures, as well as regular wear and tear, can cause a perfectly well-running HVAC system to simply stop functioning correctly. In the cold winter months, the last thing you need is to spend an uncomfortable cold night, or nights, waiting for a St. Louis HVAC technician to come and fix the problem.
Thankfully, the solution to avoid such a problem is simple. Regular maintenance and added winter maintenance is the answer that will keep an HVAC system working well when needed the most.
What does HVAC winter maintenance include?
Winter maintenance essentially involves conducting a thorough check of the entire HVAC system to ensure smooth functioning all through the winter months. With the demands on the HVAC increasing in winter any small repair can turn into a bigger, more expensive repair if left unchecked.
A maintenance check conducted by an experienced, qualified and trained St. Louis HVAC technician, scheduled just before or as winter begins will help to avoid any last-minute surprises and keep the HVAC working efficiently. Some quick actions that can be done during a winter check-up are –
- Looking for any leaks in the duct system, doors, windows, and other openings and sealing them if required. This ensures that air does not escape through these openings and keeps the temperatures as needed.
- Clean ducts and vents to avoid airflow issues, inconsistency in airflow, odours and allergies. Check for broken, dented or collapsed ducts and ensure repairs before the winter starts.
- Conduct a thorough check-up on the thermostat. A malfunctioning thermostat will not only cause heating issues but also pull down the efficiency of the HVAC.
- Keep a vigilant eye on the electricity bill. Though higher energy bills during winter months are normal, any unnatural spike in energy consumption can be a warning of a major HVAC issue.
- Clean dirt and dust from air filters and check if the air filters need replacement.
- Check for obvious temperature differences between room as that could indicate leaking ducts or blockages in airflow.
All of these actions can ensure a properly functioning HVAC system throughout the winter months. Conducting a yearly thorough check-up will provide significant benefits including:
- A regularly maintained HVAC system reduces energy consumption, increases efficiency and reduces energy bills.
- It maintains the warranty of the HVAC and ensures that the HVAC functions efficiently even under the pressure of overuse.
- Conducting a regular maintenance check of the HVAC system will also ensure that any small repairs and issues get taken care of before they escalate into huge, expensive problems.
- A regularly and well-maintained HVAC system has a longer life and improved performance for a longer period.
Getting a quick winter check from a St. Louis HVAC professional is essential. It will not only give the HVAC a performance boost but also keep the winters warm and hassle-free!
Need to know more about your heating systems and what is included in an HVAC winter checkup? Planned furnace maintenance can go a long way in preventing all issues related to HVAC systems and can keep you warm and comfortable throughout the season. Contact our St. Louis HVAC technicians with any questions you may have or to book an appointment.