January 8, 2015
The HVAC system in your house is a critical system for maintaining your family’s comfort.
A reliable HVAC system will keep the temperature and humidity inside your house at an optimum level. A fully operational system also means lower energy bills, helping you save money.
Importance of Regular HVAC Maintenance
When the winter season starts, it is essential that you have the entire HVAC system checked for any defects and damages. It is advisable to call a St. Louis HVAC company to inspect the system so that the performance of the equipment can be checked. This scheduled maintenance will ensure that your HVAC system does not break down for want of repairs during sweltering heat or freezing cold.
Replacing the Air Filters
The performance and efficiency of the HVAC system reduce with time as dust and dirt accumulate over moving parts and filters. It is, therefore, essential that the air filters are checked and replaced each month that the HVAC system is in use. To save on the costs of filters, some homeowners try to clean and reuse them; however, they are not as effective as new filters and may hinder airflow. Dirty filters increase power consumption as the system has to work harder to achieve the desired temperature. Replacing the old filters will ensure that your energy bills are kept in check. You should also replace the filters of the air cleaner, dehumidifier, and humidifier in your house.
Performing System Checks
There are certain system checks that you can perform on your own to guarantee that the HVAC system of your house stays in working order and continues to perform at an optimal level.
- In a forced-air heating system, the blower compartment and the blower coils should be checked for an accumulation of dust and dirt. Any dust or dirt found on the coils or in the compartment should be cleaned using a vacuum cleaner. The belt tension should be checked and the fan and motor bearings should be lubricated frequently.
- In steam heating systems, the main shut-off valve should be checked for leaks and an expert should be called for repairs if a leak is detected.
- The radiators in a hot water heating system should be bled at least once a year.
- The area surrounding the furnace should be kept clear of any clutter as it is a fire hazard and also affects the system performance.
- Vacuum heating registers and vents of the heating system at least once a year to keep them clear of dust, dirt, and pet hair. This will ensure that the heat generated by the system is efficiently delivered to the entire house.
- When the HVAC system is turned on, if you observe any odd sounds, call for an HVAC service professional to inspect the system and repair any damages.
Does your HVAC system need a tune-up? Call Scott-Lee Heating Company at (314) 200-0788 to make an appointment.