Why You Shouldn’t Neglect Your Heat Pump in the Summer
September 1, 2017
Many people are under the wrong impression that the cooling and heating systems need attention only in particular seasons.
In the view of many, an air conditioner is used during summer and has to be serviced just before the onset of the season. Similarly, they feel that the heater can be neglected in the summer time as it is out of use.
The truth is that it is absolutely necessary to take care of your HVAC system throughout the year. In fact, proper maintenance in one season can prepare your system to function optimally in the coming season.
Does Your Heat Pump Need Attention During the Summer?
Yes, it is very important to take care of your heat pump during the summer months. Here are some reasons why you should not neglect your heat pump even when the days are warm:
- A delay in repairs may lead to further problems. If you ignore the warning signs the situation may become worse. Last minute repairs may be expensive. It may not be possible to get assistance immediately and you may have to remain on the waiting list for some time. It may take a longer time to repair defects which have been there for a long time.
- Both the heating and cooling parts of the heat pump should function properly in all seasons.
- The weather may be unpredictable in different seasons. The days may be windy, rainy, or chilly irrespective of the season. In some places, the nights are very cold even during summer. So you may need the heater even in summer.
- Negligence may be dangerous. The air conditioner and the heater use the same vents. Dust may accumulate in them at any time during the year. So the ducts should be cleaned in time. If repairs are neglected there may be gas leakage in furnaces which are powered by gas. In severe cases, carbon monoxide may be released which is very risky.
- Increase in electricity bills. If there are faulty parts like dysfunctional motors, a bad burner, or leaking pipes, the HVAC systsem may consume more power and thus lead to a rise in the energy bills.
Advantages of Timely Repairs
If you take discrete care of your HVAC system irrespective of the season, you will be a winner. Your heater which has been checked and repaired during summer will be ready and fit to work in the winter months.
Moreover, you will not have to suffer due to sudden breakdowns in the heating system when it is needed the most.
Another important benefit is that you will be able to ensure the safety of all the people who use your home or building.